-->

Download the Android App of THE TALKING PEN

Wednesday 7 June 2017

CHARIOTS OF MAHABHARATA : Book Review



CHARIOTS OF MAHABHARATA : Book Review

I received a copy of Chariotsof Mahabharata in return of an honest review, and I will try to be as honest as I can. The book, Chariots of Mahabharata written by Himanshu Rai is an attempt to tell the story of common people and those who pulled the story during the time of Mahabharata. The book is an attempt – an honest attempt – to tell a beautiful story, but I am afraid it did not succeed in to much extent.

Chariots of Mahabharata Himanshu Rai Book reviewThe problem of reviewing this book was the fact that it was given to me in unedited form and I was asked to avoid grammatical errors while putting forth the review. Which I feel is okay in a way. But not okay in some other way. Let me explain.

The book starts in a fantastic way which creates the impression of it being a promising read, which it is not. Even if we avoid the grammatical errors (which are huge in number, and which are to be avoided as asked), there are a lot of spelling mistakes and highly unsuitable choice of words. As we move ahead from Prologue (which is okay) and first few chapters, we find that the sentences become more awkward and make the book sort-of unreadable. 

To be very honest, I liked the story. And I am sure it would have been great if someone had told it to me instead of having to read it. The plot seems very exciting but lacks strength in narration, and therefore it becomes a challenge to keep reading it. And I gave up somewhere halfway through.

I am not being unfair by judging the book on the front which I was asked to avoid. The problem is not only grammar but several. Instead of ‘showing’ scenes, the author seems to be a believer in ‘telling’ and getting away. I am giving this book a 3-star for the fear that I may not be unfair to the story which is fantastic.

No comments: